Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Participation Exercise Part 2- Mapping Assessment Values

This is the second part of this week's Participation Exercise. We continue our study of the duties and responsibilities of the Property Appraiser's Office. This time, I am working on determining if there are any anomalies with the appraised values of homes in West Ridge Place, a subdivision in Pensacola, Florida. This is a great assignment and I am happy to have this work.

As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." So, I compiled a map that had the data I could use to make a recommendation to the local Property Appraiser. My goal was to display values for the homes in the West Ridge Place subdivision in a manner that allows for easy comparison. I put together a map consisting of Land Values, the shapefile for the subdivision, Parcels, Streets and Easements. I used the command "Join" table and "Select by Location" among others to devise the map below:




The fundamental question to answer when viewing this map is, are there parcels that appear to not conform to the assessed value of properties in this subdivision? As I look at this map I see two properties (accounts) that the answer to this question could be "Yes."  The two properties should be reviewed to see if the assessed values conform to good practices.  There may be good reasons for variance in property value such as improvements on the property to raise the value (such as a $6,500.00 Dog House) or items that detract from the property value. However, in this case, at first glance the property in Yellow, to the left, lower, quadrant (071S312000001001) appears to be under valued compared to the majority of properties in the subdivision. While the property in Red, to the north and slightly off center (071S312000013001) appears to be over valued. Indeed, I believe it would be appropriate to review these two properties.

But since a picture is really worth... a lot of words; allow me to show you what I mean:


The two Parcels in question to be reviewed.

This was a good exercise to experience what our local appraiser's office does on a daily basis. I enjoyed doing the research and compiling the map for this particular type of property investigation. I can't wait to really be involved in this area of GIS work!

No comments:

Post a Comment