1- To Create the line-of-sight profile graph, I had to first find where the tool was
a. I asked myself, “Where is this? Is this on the Draw toolbar...???” I had to Google ArcGIS Help to confirm where this “Tool” was located.
b. I selected the Draw Arrow (next to the Drawing dropdown/pulldown window directly under the "Draw" title). I thought, “this can’t be that hard.”
c. I thought wrong.
2- Initially, the option was not available for me to select. That is, I could not select the “Profile Graph” on the 3D Analyst toolbar.
a. Finally, the Create Profile Graph became available for me to select and it was not greyed out.
b. I think I had to be in the Layout view not Data View.
3- The Blue handles appeared when I double-clicked on the point. However, I did not need to double click. When I did this a second time for step 7 number 9. I clicked one time and the blue handles appeared and a box was placed around the line.
4- After making my box around the surveillance point of my choice, the Graph popped up and I was able to select properties and enter a title and subtitle. I did this for several points.
5- I exported the Graphs for later use and saved what I had before moving on to the next step.
To create the View in 3D, I had to use ArcScene
a. The first time I did this I did not notice that the ArcScene icon was on the 3D Analyst toolbar, so I opened ArcScene from my desktop.
7- I added the layers as instructed and I recall thinking, I vaguely remember doing something with the Base Heights tab a long time ago...
8- I almost missed the step, “Make sure the Factor to convert layer elevation values to scene units is set to Custom 1.0 and click OK” but I caught it just before exiting.
9- Then it was back to ArcMap to select, copy and paste the line-of-sight from each surveillance point. This was difficult at first to get to work. However, after I did this a couple of times, all was good.
10- This was an excellent learning point going back and forth between ArcMap and ArcScene.
a. I saved my work and tried to export it as a 3D file (finishline_lineosight_gc.wrl). But, this did not seem to be what I wanted
b. So, I tried again and selected export as 2D and then as a .jpg (finishline_lineosight_gc.jpg)—much better this time.
11- After this it was time to compile my map.
This was a very involved lab that took two weeks to complete I learned a lot these past weeks and I am sure I will continue to advance in my skills and knowledge.