Sunday, May 31, 2015

Python is #1

I have had some minor exposure to Python while I was taking a course on Drupal, an Open Source Configuration Management System (CMS) used to build websites ( here’s a site I built for my wife:   http://dev-rebeccas-creations-2014.gotpantheon.com/).


But, by no means would I claim to be experienced with this language.  So, that is why I chose an article about Python for this Participation Exercise. The title of the article is, “Python is Now the Most Popular Introductory Teaching Language at Top U.S. Universities.” 


According to this article,Top-ranked CS departments at MIT and UC Berkeley recently switched their introductory courses to Python.” This tells me we are in great company as we endeavor to learn Python and apply what we learn to GIS. Though there were some comments about Python hiding too much, that is, the code is “built-in”, and the user does not have to create code from scratch, most of the article was very positive towards Python. Personally, I like the “Built-in” tools and features that do not require you to develop code because it saves time and troubleshooting. Additionally, there are numerous examples of code for various applications that you can copy and use without having to develop them completely on your own. As we progress through this course I am positive we will develop more code and find endless uses for Python in our GIS endeavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment